Little House on the Prairie – 2014

      No Comments on Little House on the Prairie – 2014

01_trimmingporch

And thus begins the 2014 annual update on our 1918 Four Square farmhouse remuddling project.

Status Report

But first, as I’ve done with each annual report, here’s an overview of the work done so far:

Done:

  • Bored a new 50′ well
  • Replaced about 1/3 of the foundation
  • Rebuilt numerous structural areas
  • Rewired the whole house
  • Redid all of the plumbing
  • Replaced all flooring downstairs with new sub and finish flooring/carpet
  • Reshingled the roof
  • Installed new furnace with A-coil for future A/C installation
  • Laundry / Mud Room
  • Downstairs Full Bathroom
  • Downstairs Guest Bedroom
  • Music Room
  • Living Room & Staircase
  • Upstairs Hallway
  • Upstairs Full Bathroom
  • Kitchen
  • Boys Bedroom
  • Dining Room
  • Built wraparound porch roof on south of house
  • Replaced mudroom entry and storm doors
  • Resided the house
  • Painted trim and eaves

Still left to do:

  • New gutters
  • Dining room cabinets
  • Remodel the remaining three bedrooms upstairs
  • Remodel the sunporch
  • Complete south portion of porch decking
  • Install air conditioning
  • Insulate and convert attic to playroom
  • Pave the driveway

02_workisland

Beth’s long-neglected work island cabinet finally got some attention in the form of the end panel face frames.

03_paintingporchtrim

Work continued on the wraparound porch – got the trim installed.

04_mudroomentrydoor

And, having never really warmed up to the entry door we originally installed to the mudroom (exacerbated by rotting trim), we replaced it with a different style door along with a new storm door.

05_diningroomcurtains

Perhaps the fanciest project was having custom draperies made for the dining room, along with raising the candelabra a bit higher. All that’s left in this room is the glass panel cabinets next to the chimney flue.

06_paintedeaves

And finishing out things, we got most of the trim painted, including all the upper-storey eaves.

All-in-all, not a huge amount of progress this year, but that was in part due to the machine shed rebuild project that consumed a lot of time and budget.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *