After my missing panels and trims came in, I was able to finally button up the building shell, with exception of the ceiling panels that go under the porch roof. I’ll get to those eventually.
Since I’ve been held up waiting on materials, I spent three very full days last week backfilling around the shop and doing other yardwork with Beth (filling in low spots and sowing grass seed). Since I have a surplus of dirt, I also offered to fill in low spots in both adjoining neighbor’s yards. My missing steel panels arrived this morning,… Read more »
It’s been two months since the last update on the shop building, and it’s definitely starting to look like a building now. After finishing the girts, I had a little more framing to do, including the overhead door jambs and backing for the soffits.
After allowing the concrete to cure for about ten days, I started working on framing the girts. I’m using commercial / bookshelf girts, which are 2×8 boards laid flat, 24″ on center. They look like bookshelves, thus the name, and allow for easy addition of horizontal batt insulation in the walls. Wall sections that are < 24″ wide, or thereabouts,… Read more »
After a bit of a delay, the concrete folks came out and started forming up to pour the main floor. Because our soil is somewhat expansive, I put in more compacted fill (8″ of crusher run gravel + 4″ sand) for a more stable base. Once they had the fill done, it was time to prep for in-floor heat.
Not a lot of visible progress in this update, other than a really muddy site at the end. I rented a trencher for a day and ran separate trenches for power and water from the house. Also trenched for french drains around both the shop and the house.
My Brother-in-law and his wife ended up staying with us an extra few days, and we were able to get about ¾ of the roof panels installed before rain moved in and they had to leave. Once things dried up a bit, my wife and I finished the remaining nine panels. This meant I had no choice but to harness… Read more »