I finally took time to create posts documenting the final years of the farmhouse renovation. They are backdated, so here are links to them for handy access: 2017 2018 2019 2020
After allowing the concrete to cure for about ten days, I started working on framing the girts. I’m using commercial / bookshelf girts, which are 2×8 boards laid flat, 24″ on center. They look like bookshelves, thus the name, and allow for easy addition of horizontal batt insulation in the walls. Wall sections that are < 24″ wide, or thereabouts,… Read more »
Having purchased a retirement home in Tennessee, we had a long list of things to do before putting the farm on the market.
After a bit of a delay, the concrete folks came out and started forming up to pour the main floor. Because our soil is somewhat expansive, I put in more compacted fill (8″ of crusher run gravel + 4″ sand) for a more stable base. Once they had the fill done, it was time to prep for in-floor heat.
Not a lot of visible progress in this update, other than a really muddy site at the end. I rented a trencher for a day and ran separate trenches for power and water from the house. Also trenched for french drains around both the shop and the house.